The role of the Adult Server is to assist the priest at Mass when a deacon is not present. The duties may include:
- Carrying the Cross in the procession
- Presenting the book of the Sacramentary to the priest during the liturgy
- Prepares the altar for the liturgy of the Eucharist
- Assists the priest in giving Communion
- Assists the priest in the purification of the vessels
At St. Stephen Church, the Adult Server is a fully initiated Catholic 18 years of age or older. If God is calling you to minister in His Church through service at the altar, then heed the call! Contact the Liturgy coordinator Annette Specht (e-mail), for more information.
Click here to access the schedule and Adult Server contact list (user name/password required)
Youth altar servers at St. Stephen church are those young people between the ages of 8-18 who have received First Communion, and would like to assist at the weekend Masses in a special way.
Youth altar servers assist at Mass by
- Carrying the Cross and candles at the beginning and end of Mass
- Present the bread, wine, and water to the priest during the preparation of the gifts
- Assist priest when he receives the gifts from the people,
- Wash the hands of the priest during the purification rite,
- Assist the priest celebrant as necessary
Youth servers must attend training sessions, and ensure that someone else takes their place when they cannot be at Mass. They must be attentive, respectful, prayerful, and be able to follow directions. Parents must give permission for children to become altar servers.
If you wish to have your child become a server, please contact the Altar Server coordinator Maria Wagner (e-mail)
Click here to access the schedule and Altar server contact list (user name/password required)